- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- Lemon wedges for serving
Combine oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a small skillet over low heat. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic is softened and light golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in panko, Parmesan, thyme, lemon zest and salt.
Preheat grill to very high (at least 500 degrees F). Oil the grill grates, using tongs to hold an oil-soaked paper towel. Place zucchini, cut-sides down, on the oiled grates; grill, uncovered, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Flip the zucchini so they are cut-side up; spoon the panko mixture evenly on top. Grill, covered, until the topping is golden brown in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully transfer to a serving platter. Serve with lemon wedges.